Sunday, August 11, 2024

For Days alternatives for recycling non-usable clothing?

Hi all, did a search on the sub but didn’t find a good answer. Am in the USA.

I have previously used For Days for textile recycling - this is for clothing I can’t donate as it isn’t in good enough condition to be reworn (eg socks with big holes, very worn out trousers), and fabric scraps.

It used to be you paid for a bag to recycle stuff and got store credit, but the program has got worse (as has been discussed at length in this sub so I won’t go into detail again), plus I have not been happy with the quality of clothing I have bought from them anyway. So I am looking for alternatives.

I have found Terracycle but their boxes seem extortionate ($131+). Retold is $44 for 3 bags but I haven’t found much online as to if they’re legit, and I haven’t heard of any of the companies they do rewards with. I am happy to pay a bit to keep the stuff out of landfill if there is genuine value in them to recyclers, but having a whole bunch of store credit at For Days I don’t plan to use from money I’ve spent, I would rather not spend too much more to get rid of my old socks.

We don’t have local companies that take scraps. earth911 doesn’t have anything local, and the places which are less local are only for residents of that town/county. There are a few PlanetAid bins but again they’re focused around reusable clothing and not worn out scraps. Plus I don’t have a good opinion of them from the various scandals.

Any suggestions, or experiences with Retold, are welcome!



Submitted August 11, 2024 at 12:02PM by Thaumatovalva https://ift.tt/8qc0FwN

No comments:

Post a Comment