Thursday, October 10, 2024

Why do sustainable clothing brands only offer simple designs?!

The fashion industry is in terrible shape when it comes to sustainability and ethical values, primarily due to fast fashion. I’m someone who values knowing how my clothes are made and where they come from, because I don’t want to contribute to the incredibly polluting fashion industry.

Currently, I buy all my clothing second-hand, but I would also like to invest in pieces from sustainable and ethically responsible clothing brands. Online, I read that many people hesitate to switch to sustainable clothing because they find it very expensive. This is also a barrier for me, but what really holds me back is the lack of alternative styles.

All the sustainable brands I’ve come across so far describe their designs as “timeless” and “classic.” I completely understand that this is related to combating overconsumption and not following micro-trends. They choose these designs because they won’t go out of style, so the customer won’t think after one season “This is no longer in; I’ll get rid of it” (which is certainly not sustainable).

However, I feel that this excludes a whole demographic. People who don’t want to look “timeless and classic” but have an alternative style, can’t participate in the sustainable clothing movement. I believe it’s crucial that there’s something for everyone, so that anyone can make a more sustainable choice if they wanted to.

That’s why I’d like to start my own sustainable clothing brand, but I wonder if there’s enough demand for it.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on this. And if you know of any sustainable clothing brands that offer more alternative styles, I would love to hear about them!

I would also greatly appreciate it if you could take the time to fill out my survey. Your help would mean the world <3
https://forms.gle/5YGy5wQz7tHK9Bp87



Submitted October 10, 2024 at 11:48AM by Ok-Perception7644 https://ift.tt/7x5ts30

No comments:

Post a Comment