Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Greenwashing concerns

Hello!

I'm new to posting on reddit, I created this account to ask for your help and advice. So, apologies in advance if this isn't very smooth.

My situation; I have been wanting to start my own clothing line for many years and it's really important to me that it is sustainable and ethical. After getting really in control of my mental health for the first time in my adult life and a huge physical move, I am finally ready, confident and capable. I am sourcing all of my fabric from companies that can provide me with proof of certification (GOTS seems to be the most common). I am trying to use local small businesses, ensuring everything from the sketchbooks I use, the thread in my machine to the tissue paper inside my home-compostable packaging is sustainable. I have done a lot of research over the last 2 years but I know I have a lot more to do- I will never stop, my goal is to be an expert in my field.

A hugely important part of all of this for me is that I am transparent and honest. That means I'm happy to admit I'm not perfect, that I'm one person on my own right now and I don't have all the answers. I know I'll probably get something wrong but I am also terrified I will. This is where I'm asking for advice; exactly what do you want to see from a fledgling, independent, sustainable brand? What do you look for as concrete proof that a company is working with sustainability and fair pay as its core values? Greenwashing is becoming more and more of a problem as sustainable fashion picks up in popularity and I want to start strong, true and brutally honest.

I don't know if this is at all helpful but just in case; I'm location in Berlin, I plan to sell online and approach boutique stores at some point in the not so far future with long term view of owning my own flagship boutique bricks and mortar store.

Please, if there is a more suitable subreddit for me to post this in I would love any and all input. Thank you for reading this unnecessarily long post :)



Submitted July 28, 2020 at 09:29AM by effortlessuncool https://ift.tt/30YmqHD

No comments:

Post a Comment