Sunday, November 28, 2021

Sustainabikity of cotton vs nodal (viscose)

Last year, I started a concerted effort to only buy natural fibers, and to really wear out my synthetic clothes before throwing them away. I've bought predominantly cotton and wool, as they're natural, comfortable and don't make me feel like I'm wearing a trashbag.

It's now time to replace my tattered underwear and socks, and I've found the search for natural fibers more diffocult than I thought. It's nearly impossible to find socks without at least a little bit of a synthetic stretch material in them, and underwear I like and that fits is also somewhat difficult to find without being "cotton blend" or "cotton stretch".

Which brings me to modal. Initially, when I read that viscose and modal are rayin, I dismissed it as a synthetic. Apparently it's not, and actually uses substantially less water than cotton during manufacture. While water usage is important, my initial reason for going all natural was to reduce microplastics and just wearing plastic in general.

My questions are as follows:

  • Is cotton or modal/viscose better on water consumption?
  • Is cotton or modal/viscose more degradable?
  • Is it possible to find modal/viscose that does not also utilize spandex or other synthetics?
  • Are there other types of viscose ot alternative fabrics that are superior to modal?

Thanks in advance for you help! I will crosspost to r/sustainability if it would be beneficial.



Submitted November 28, 2021 at 12:41PM by The_Band_Geek https://ift.tt/3FXQvcT

No comments:

Post a Comment