Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Department Store Alternatives [Requesting Brand Recommendations]

So I’m not part of Gen Z, a lot of the sustainable brands do not appeal to my taste in clothing. If, like me, you’re not a teen and/or you don’t feel like the “I sewed a baggy rectangle and called it a work dress” look flatters you: what’s your recommendation?

Over the last couple years most of my purchases have been from Boden. Part of this was that they actually allowed me to sort by fiber/material. In that time the brand has moved away from synthetics to a lot of linen, cotton, and silk. Sequins are replaced by embroidery. Their cotton is nearly all sustainably sourced w/r/t water consumption and appear to also adhered to fair trade standards in terms of labor.

Outside of that store I’m stuck. I pretty much have abandoned department stores because everything is acrylic, polyester, etc. Boden is mostly as quirky as I get. My taste is what some call classic but most call boring: sheath dresses, wool sweaters, jeans and a t shirt, canvas sneakers/duck boots/leather Mocs. Like a mash up of Eddie Bauer, L L Bean, J Jill, etc.

I fully understand that part of sustainability is buying less, but I’m also at a point in my life where the clothes I wore for the last decade are no longer appropriate and whatever I purchase now needs to be appropriate for the next 10 years. And I want to make sure those pieces are coming from manufacturers most in line with my values.



Submitted January 05, 2022 at 09:21PM by Abbey_Hurtfew https://ift.tt/3zC28Ez

No comments:

Post a Comment