Tuesday, January 4, 2022

How to Curate a Sustainable Wardrobe That Doesn't Look Like Oatmeal

Shopping sustainable isn't what I imagined it to be...

Upon learning how harmful fast fashion is for the planet and the people making it, I began to search for sustainable clothes. I looked at website after website, article after article, and all I found were plain, soggy clothes. It all looked like wet oatmeal. I continued to look for info on how I could have cute and colorful clothes, and reduce the harm done... is it ok to buy fast fashion if I always donate a bag of clothes when I make a new purchase? Should I just thrift everything? Do I have to learn how to sew?! Here's what I discovered...

Your old clothes will most likely end up in a landfill... even when you donate them.

Even if someone buys them from that thrift shop you sold them to, they'll eventually get thrown out. Selling your old clothes does not erase the harm done when they were made and purchased. When buying clothes, keep in mind who made them. Were they paid properly and treated well? Do the extra research.

Don't even get me started on thrifting!

Who has time to spend hours searching through an unorganized bucket of stained jeans just to find nothing in your size?! With all of the info that's out there on how to thrift for your increasingly unique style, I wanted to help you find items that are actually in your size, don't have nasty stains and smells, and don't look like oatmeal (I'm looking at you, boring sustainable brands). If you're lucky enough to live near an organized vintage or thrift shop, like Good Cycle in Dallas or GG's in Bushwick, those are great options for a quick find.

Making your own clothes is just one solution... if you want to sew your own, use dead-stock and upcycled materials.

A few years ago, I actually started to design and make my own clothes using dead-stock and upcycled materials.

What are dead-stock fabrics?! Dead-stock materials are sheets or rolls of fabric that are collected from fashion companies because they either ordered too much or had a little left over. Check out FabScrap for dead-stock materials that are just as good as brand new rolls of fabric. If you can make it out to their warehouse in Brooklyn, NY, please go!! There's nothing like getting to touch the materials and pick out your favorites in person.

What is upcycling?! Upcycling is the process of taking old clothes and materials and making new things with them. This could mean taking the fabrics of old t-shirts and sewing them together in a new way, or editing an item to have a fresh look.

If you don't want to make your own clothes, shop with brands that upcycle and use dead-stock fabrics.

If you don't want to learn to sew and you don't live near an amazing thrift or vintage shop, shop online with a brand like mine, Turning Tides, that upcycles and uses dead-stock fabrics. The upcycled & dead-stock clothing industry is on the rise and is providing this world with some of the most unique fits I've ever seen!! BONUS: most upcycled items are going to be one-of-a-kind due to the limited amount of that specific fabric. Turning Tides takes upcycling to a whole other level by hand-painting, hand-sewing, and making some of the most unique items I've ever seen. Obviously, I'm biased, but check us out and let me know what you think.



Submitted January 04, 2022 at 01:46PM by TurningTidesUSA https://ift.tt/34qHHPD

No comments:

Post a Comment