Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Sustainable raincoat - a short rant

A little background: I currently live in the Netherlands, and I'm about to start a new job. To be more environmentally friendly, save on money, and avoid traffic jams, I have decided to commute the first part by train, and then by bike (~15min bike ride one way). For this, I need a good raincoat, since fall and winter can be quite rainy here and I don't want to show up to my job drenched. Ideally I want a nice trenchcoat style, just waterproof and with a hood.

The search for a raincoat started about a month ago, when I learned I got the job. I think that I bought a total of 6 second hand raincoats one after another, from different sources (thrift store, vintage store, vinted). Each time I tested one (by wearing them in the shower briefly), I noticed that they all had significant leakage. One (from vinted) even had quite big rips at the seems, even though it was from an expensive and good-quality brand originally.

Alas, after the 6th raincoat I decided to just buy new but from a sustainable brand, since I don't have that much time anymore and I already wasted around 50,- on the raincoats (don't always get the full amount back when returning). I think that I'll probably buy one from Tretorn, since they have a nice one on sale right now that is well within my budget, and I also still need to find some new shoes.

However, when I was looking for sustainable brands that sell raincoats, I found that so many brands a) call themselves "animal friendly" and then just make 100% plastic clothing (as if microplastics aren't a problem) ,and/or b) make raincoats that either aren't 100% waterproof or don't have a hood / don't go past your waist / are so baggy the tiniest bit of wind will basically blow them off of you.

Has anyone else had these, or similar troubles when shopping for rain / outdoor clothes? What did you do eventually to help it? Buy new? or is there some secondhand shopping trick I don't know yet?



Submitted June 15, 2022 at 06:40AM by IntoLaurel https://ift.tt/SZ6wTcW

No comments:

Post a Comment