Saturday, May 27, 2023

What do you think of sustainable fashion aiding developing economies?

Hello wonderful people!

As someone who values sustainable fashion, I'd love to share my story 💛 I grew up in East Africa and throughout my childhood I saw the poorest people wearing Abercrombie & Fitch shirts and GAP hoodies etc. All these American and European brands you could never find in Africa. I always wondered where they found these clothes 🤔 I later found out that these garments were donated from the Western churches and charities. I learned that while in the west the heavily marketed perception was that of a moral deed helping developing nations, in reality it was perpetuating providing a free supply of clothing to an economy that was being robbed of its potential. This free supply wasn't allowing for the Ugandan economy for example to thrive on its own textile industry.

In 2018, I took my husband to Africa for the first time. We went to this eccentric and lively market only to find locally made garments, jewelry and much more. I stumbled upon these super cool jackets and hoodies that had African fabric sewed on in a magestic yet minimalistic design. They were so beautifully styled that when we took them back to the US and Canada, at restaurants, bars and even the streets... 7/10 people asked us where we got our jackets from. I was shocked 😲

This naturally sparked an idea to create a sustainable fashion brand that supports African economies by providing skills and jobs to African women to empower the African textile industry. Our mission would be to enhance the scope and space for minimalistic African fabric in everyday wear. Not presenting as overtly traditional but rather sharing a piece of the motherland onto a jacket that would hopefully become a unique piece in your wardrobe.

What do you think about supporting developing economies through the fashion industry? Would you wear minimalistic African textiles?

[Humble request if you're interested in this topic, not intended to spam this space] I would be eternally grateful if you'd help us with our mission by filling out a detailed questionnaire that will help us design a meaningful clothing line. If you happen to have 10 minutes, there's a nice perk offered for completing the questionnaire here. Thank you for considering 🙏💛



Submitted May 27, 2023 at 02:38AM by winzypoo https://ift.tt/r81OAfn

No comments:

Post a Comment