Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Sustainable shopping fail long rant - f**k ARQ!

Does it happen to you sometimes that you spend hours researching this one particular thing - in my case cotton underwear - you make sure the company is sustainable, you actually find something that looks nice, find the color that you want, you bring yourself to cut a substantial chunk out of your bank account on this - convincing yourself that it's 100% worth it because you're supporting a small company blah blah, plus you REALLY need this - like I really need underwear right now because sometimes it's just really past time you bought replacement for really worn-out things...So you do all this only to have to f*cking throw the whole thing in the trash in the end...and this whole sustainable thing ends up not worth it.

In my search for decent sustainable underwear I came across ARQ. I was a bit skeptical at the beginning because the website doesn't allow people to write reviews but I decided to order anyway. Followed their size chart, picked what I thought was my size. Read their exchange policies etc - no exchange on panties, can only exchange bras. I figured since I've been buying my clothes almost exclusively online for years and 99.8% of the time have gotten the correct size and I have never ever bought a pair of panties in a wrong size from anywhere - bras are more complicated for me, never panties - I decided to place an order for a Magda bra and two High-rise panties, everything in black.

Hell started when I tried to place an order. Payment wasn't going through, charged my bank account twice without actually placing an order, finally went through on the third time.

Fast forward to the delivery day. USPS was super sketchy and marked my package as "picked up by an individual at a post office"...hmmm what? No package at my door, I was home, no one even rang the bell. Went to the ARQ website and they have a whole separate FAQ section on this - so this, like, happens all the time with this company? The package magically appeared at my doorstep the next day. But it just didn't add any positivity to my experience.

Anyway, I opened the package, was pleasantly surprised by how nice the fabric felt in my hands. Until I pulled everything out...just one look at the bra told me it would be too big. Tried it on, yep, too big. Tried on the panties, kind of fit but kind of too big as well, I would have definitely sized down had I known.

Went to the website to initiate an exchange at least on the f*cking bra. Smaller size out of stock. Sent an email to ARQ right away asking if they will be restocking soon. They replied that "we don't have any current plans to restock our Magda bras once our current stock of them has depleted, so I would recommend returning that item and exchanging it for a different style altogether". The customer service representative then proceeded to recommend me a different bra...which when I went to look at turned out they don't currently have in black OR in my size at all in any color. LOL. When I pointed that out, the reply was that they will be restocking it in the next couple of months. LOL. I already wasted over $100, so now am I supposed to waste more on returns and shipping and sh*t plus wait an indefinite amount of months for the underwear that I need to be wearing today because like...I really need some underwear? Exchange for white color, waste more money and time (plus produce more trash in the process) on dye and try to dye it hoping the shade of black will match the undies? Ugh!

I am so mad right now. Sometimes I just want to go back to buying fast fashion I swear, it was just so much easier. Now I am stuck with an underwear set that I cannot wear. I bought this as a set specifically, I have no use for the two undies whatsoever - I cannot stand wearing non-matching underwear, it literally drives me crazy. Plus, they're slightly too big anyway - I imagine they will only stretch out further with wear. I am just beyond mad and need to vent.

Has something similar ever happened to you on your sustainable fashion journey? Cursing the days when I was a kid and had sewing lessons at school...I thought they were boring...could have been happily making my own clothes now otherwise, who knows lol.



Submitted August 09, 2023 at 07:29PM by tempano_on_ice https://ift.tt/QCcOguk

No comments:

Post a Comment