Monday, March 25, 2024

Rant: Social Media is filled with Green washers disguised as sustainable small businesses

Instagram, TikTok, and Depop are filled with green washers that are ruining the authenticity and marketplace for real sustainable sellers. I was on IG today and saw a reel from @cottagecorewear showing off her clothes she “sewed.” I thought they were cute, so I checked out her website. First red flag was that blouses were only 40 euros. I was like, how does she sew “in house, sustainable” blouses for that much? After reading the fine print, I saw “manufactured in a limited quantity in collaboration with a small ethical production site in Hong Kong.”

THEN I asked in a comment saying I’d love to buy a blouse, but I’d love if she could back up her claims of using an ethical production site, because if she can’t, that’s definitional greenwashing. In response, she deleted my comment. “Ethical and sustainable” my ***, this girl is literally lying to almost 300k people, and helping ruin real sustainable shopping, as well as ripping off her customers.

Okay thank you for listening to my rant. I’m a sewer as well so seeing greenwashers lie about an art form I love makes me so angry.



Submitted March 25, 2024 at 02:54AM by Remarkable-Ad-3639 https://ift.tt/qmojzl9

No comments:

Post a Comment