Friday, June 12, 2020

How to not come across as a greenwasher?

Hi all,

Absolutely love this sub and its informed me so much about sustainable fashion!

I recently started my own tshirt brand that uses various print on demand services. Due to the slow nature of business during Covid and having come across this sub, I decided to look for better, more eco friendly alternatives as my base product.

Of all the companies that I have come across, I found one fulfilment company that used DTG printing with water based ink on Stanley/Stella organic cotton tshirts. The more I read about Stanley/Stella and their supply chain, the more inclined I am to start using them as my base product. And the fulfilment company I plan to use-they use recycled paper and biodegradable packaging, so that's helping the cause of not littering the planet with more single use plastic. Overall, it sounds like a good idea on paper - tshirt brand thats sustainable and affordable.

Now, this is where my question comes in. How do I market my site and brand without coming across as I am greenwashing? Use of terms like "eco-friendly", "sustainability", "environment friendly" all sounds very buzzwordy given how liberally and inappropriately they've been used by brands like H&M and Zara. It can put off anyone if they go to the site to see something listed for $40+shipping when a lot of sustainable clothing items by big brands have been always priced a lot higher.

How can I come across as a genuine sustainable fashion brand rather without taking anything away from this very important movement of fashion sustainability?

Or perhaps, let me put it this way - what would convince you to buy a clothing item from a website/brand you've never heard of thats saying its environmental friendly?

Any input/feedback is appreciated! For the time being I am using 100% organic cotton tees that are supplied by a company that is WRAP (Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production) - certified,so its all sweatshop free production with water based/eco friendly ink. Feel free to check it out at www.onecuppatee.com



Submitted June 12, 2020 at 09:37PM by GeeUWOTM8 https://ift.tt/2B2KLCM

No comments:

Post a Comment