Sunday, February 27, 2022

Sustainable packaging: Recycled Paper vs Recycled Poly vs Home Compostable?

Hey guys! Curious to know your thoughts on sustainability-forward packaging.

I'm currently looking at EcoEnclose and Better Packaging Co. and would love to hear if anyone has personal experience with either.

I've seen several instances of people complaining about paper mailers not being water-resistant, so I'm aware of that challenge, though I haven't had any issues receiving damaged paper packages myself. I know Kotn uses EcoEnclose recycled paper apparel mailers and found them to be pretty sturdy. I'm also wondering how much of a problem water-resistance is, if you also have water-resistant inner packaging around the clothing itself? IMO, the biggest benefit of these recycled paper mailers is the ease of proper disposal, as they are curbside recyclable for the consumer.

Better Packaging Co. has home compostable mailers that look and feel like poly bags, are sturdy and water resistant, but I'm not sure how practical it actually is for the average consumer to properly dispose of? I worry that most people will toss it in the trash, and even compostable things will not decompose properly in a covered landfill. These also have a 10-month shelf-life.

On the other hand, EcoEnclose has recycled poly mailers that are recyclable with thin film plastics (as in, not curbside recyclable, requires store drop off in most places). Additionally, they offer a take-back program where consumers can mail their poly bags alongside ANY #2 or 4 thin film plastics they may have back to EcoEnclose to be recycled. I'm not sure how many consumers would actually go out of their way to ensure the bag gets properly recycled.

So, whats your opinion? As a small business owner or as a consumer? Which type of packaging would you rather receive?



Submitted February 27, 2022 at 02:35PM by mikumoapparel https://ift.tt/jTue1YD

No comments:

Post a Comment