Sunday, December 10, 2023

A quick guide to sustainable fashion... If you have any more..

I love fashion, and I just wanted to create a quick guide to help us all look our best sustainably. I'm sure this is review for many, and new for many.

  1. If you can avoid synthetic fabrics please do so. Look for natural fibers, cotton, linen, silk, hemp, and wool. Please look at the clothing tags. Synthetic clothing is contributing to our microplastic issue.Globally it is estimated that 16-35% of our microplastics are from synthetic fabric in our clothing. If you can get organic cotton, this is even better. Cotton is a pesticide heavy crop. Honestly, linen, organic cotton and hemp are the best environmentally. (I personally don't have an issue with silk, or wool, but many vegans do.) Tencel and bamboo fabric also does not create microplastics but take quite a bit of energy to turn into fabric. If you make your own clothes, make it from natural fibers. Please remember satin, denim flannel and jersey etc are types of knits or weaves, they are not what the fabric is made from. It is very possible to have a polyester satin, or jersey just as much as it's possible to have a silk satin, or cotton jersey. Synthetic fibers are usually, nylon, polyesther, spandex, rayon, acrylic, olefin, modal, microfiber, etc.
  2. If you can, please thrift your clothing. If you'd like to know why, please look up "Clothing pile, Chilean dessert." Even thrifted synthetic clothing is better than new synthetic ones.
  3. Repair your clothes. I find this fun... I have made some individual pieces. Add a new collar, change the buttons, add patches etc.
  4. Wash your clothes in cold water. 90% of the energy your washing machine uses, goes toward heaing the water. It honestly saves your clothes, and cleans them just as well.
  5. Hang dry your clothes if you can. This saves your clothes too.
  6. If you aren't going to wear it at least 30 times, do not buy it. I have started wearing my dresses that I only wear once or twice, just around. Honestly, I have received nothing but compliments. It also reduces my need for other clothing because I have less wear and tear on my other clothes.
  7. DO not use laundry pods, or sheets because they also contribute to micro-plastics. I have switched to a 5 galleon pail of powder detergent. (Nellie's) If you insist on using pods or sheets, the sheets are better, because at least the sheets don't have phosphates and they usually come in a easily recycleable cardboard package.
  8. Make sure your laundry detergent does not have phosphates. This helps algae bloom, and takes the oxygen out of the water, and chokes out the marinelife.
  9. Do not use fabric softener. It is not necessary, it wears out your clothes faster, and it can harm marine life. It takes energy to create, and comes in a plastic container. Why? I have never used fabric softener in my life, and my life is just fine.
  10. Tailor your clothes. If you lose or gain weight, you can easily tailor your clothes to fit. Letting them out is a bit trickier but still possible. It is better to use what you have. I lost 55 lbs, and I bought very few new clothes. I tailored my old ones to fit. I saved money, learned a new skill, and helped the environment. WIN all around.



Submitted December 10, 2023 at 03:56PM by slovenlyhaven https://ift.tt/BfjXn2c

No comments:

Post a Comment